Sunday, November 14, 2010

process: IDEAS


final artifact: (for some reason, the sounds didn't upload to YOUTUBE)...


I was still having issues exporting and .mov file from flash. I attempted a number of solutions after doing a considerable amount of research on the matter, but to no avail. I found that even profesionals had issued complaints to adobe saying that this has been an issue with flash. and surprisingly enough, adobe still charges up the wallloo for their product. But I did what I could, and for the most part the motion piece is as you see it. but minus the bits left behind.

and here's my logo build



My understanding of the theory of story structure was richer because I was able to use more channels than one. by using different channels simultaneously, I message can be conveyed a great deal more effectively than simply using one channel. However, I realized pretty quickly that in adding more channels than necessary, a message's meaning can easily be distracting or altered unnecessarily.


I thought that by simply using only two channels (image and sound effects) that my message was quite clear, and quite effective. It seems quite capable of holding the audience's attention for the whole of its duration. and I think it is quite memorable, and the message is clear: that is, YOT makes toys which are creative, innovative, and inspire imagination.


I found it to be quite a challenge to compose these visual elements in a fairly beleivable way, which would still seem playful and yet somewhat realistic. another challenge was to add sound that was approriote. so there was a considerable amount of compilation of sounds (I used audacity for that). I had to time them, layer them, and cut them, then reimport the audio files into flash. it was a bit of a process, but one that I am comfortable doing by now.


I had many versions of how the toy blocks move. I tried making them swing like on a crane and that was tough. I also tried to create a 3D cube for those toy cubes so that I could have the block spin as it moved. that didn't work very well. Id probably want to use After Effects for that. duh. I found it helpful to look up real videos of these actual mechanism from the real world. I used that to inform the way I put my objects into motion. At least you can understand what each object is doing. that's nice.


I'm glad the transitions are fairly seemless too. I'm proud of the carrots swinging in toward the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment