Sunday, December 5, 2010

poverty design problem: final process

We (Vi and I) had our garden idea, and that was a bit too complex and didn't relate directly to the poverty simulation and was therefore problematic.

We then had the idea of taking the scenario of MO who was ripped off by not getting a reciept at the mortgage place during the poverty simulation.

So we thought we might make a poster where we would tell out target audience (low income people) how they might be screwed - and show them ways to avoid that.
using a different tagline, we tried different messages with different imagery. this message was pointing out that some people can get robbed.... and these things affect family etc. we didn't go this direction.


We then got ahold of our new idea, and developed it from here:

THESE OUR OUR 3 messages that we ended up going with:

We continued to refine our color pallete, add imagery to the compositions, and refine the messages.


We ended up splitting these three messages into 3 different channels.
the first (yellow) is a poster that can be strategically placed at a location that might rip you off, and the next is a poster and plackard that are located on the bus and at the bus stop, and the third is a motion piece that can be seen on screen on television which ideally would be located in a waiting room of where our target audience would be.

This is our final in context shot of our bus plackard:

This is our incontext shot of the poster.

this is a still with the fact from our motion piece: we ended up changing the color on the final motion piece to green tough. which is shown above (in green).

Here is our final color pallete:



Vi and I started the project with our schematics that genearally followed the model of our own schematics. This model addresses more specifically some issues that were expereinced in the Poverty Simulation that was held in Eperson Auditorium. Here are different iterations as we

Then we ended up with our final iteration and included that into our presentation:\

and here's a detail. for the prestentation, we strategically zoomed in to talk about the specific things that we needed to.

all about PROJECT 8

Still frames of my schematic:


I definitely learned a good deal from this project. For one, I had never made a non-linear narrative where I could let the user really interact with the message. In doing a non-linear narrative, where the viewer can control the pace of this design artifact rather than simply sit and watch without pushing any buttons, I believe that my message is clarified. Before, when it was just a print, I could only say so much. All the information was generic and if a person wanted more information, it wasn't there. But in my user oriented schematic that I built on flash, I was able to add that extra information. When each word on the schematic is rolled over with the moused, a definition pops up.

The viewer tends to read the schematic from left to right because it is structured linearly. So each word and definition is read chronologically — however the viewer does have the option to look at any word or play the animation at any given time. The animation is played when the viewer clicks on the SOUCRE A button. The arrow moves from left to right thus demonstrating the linear, chronological importance of the schematic.

I was glad to get my feet wet with Flash .3 scripting. That demo that garret gave was most helpful. Now I won't be nearly as intimidated to get into that in the future as I would have been without learning those basic functions.