Saturday, May 7, 2011

process

(FYI, I have compiled some of my process posts in one blog post)

As always, i begin with my brainstorming. And to be honest I often have a disorganized way of recording thoughts as they sporadically come to me, so if there's one thing I learned, it is to perfect my thought process when working on a project.

my work space


As stated in a previous blog post, my question was concerned with looking at the foreground and background of the a letter, and seeing how those interact. this is an example of that. Other examples can be seen in the film reel on this blog post.

these are most of the letterforms that I made to work with earlier on in my project. you'll see 'em in action in the vid just below. (and the metal letters I used in the video after that)

this shows my earlier projects. they concern the the letterform and show how the foreground and background interact with one another, thus changing the letterform with the motion which at times blends the letters.


So then I changed the tracks a little bit, and no longer was looking at the relationship between the foreground and the background per se. In my wanderings during my expererimentation, I became to notice that the putting the text in motion started to distort and blur the lettering. So that's why I started to pursue how motion could distort the letterforms. THATS why I went that direction.

here are some early results from what I got from my little kinetic toy:

and here is the toy itself: see it in action in the vid below.

So the following film shows how started playing with that motion:



THEN I had to think of how I could present my type, and all the different ways to manipulate type in one cohesive presentation.

So I came up with the concept of using onomatopoeic phrases on little shapes which were then put into motion. Each shape is made out of cut metal (so they could fit better on the machines that I made (which you see in the video)) and then I applied the printed text.

here is another of the machines i have been using: It's just a little motor that I rigged up with a battery and a stand.



things got a little messy when in enthusiastic experimentation mode:
my metal cutter was a big help. I used metal letters, because the sheet metal could be bent around and still hold place so i could play with it more than what i could do with paper.


I printed all my text from an illustrator file. After assembling them, I filmed all motion sequences in for my final presentation. To see the final, please go to the next blog post.

___
___
INTERESTING THINGS THAT I LEARNED;

here was something interesting that I learned:

for this designalogue band, I had 'design' with yellow on one side, and 'alogue' with purple on the other. With the motion, I tried to get it so you could read both sides. it didn't work very well so instead I made another sign (3 images below) with the whole word. And that I think yielded interesting results with the distortion of the lettering.


MORE DESIGNALOGUE EXPERIMENTS:







___
please go to next blog post for final stuff.
THANKS>


No comments:

Post a Comment