Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Documentation of Taxonomy

My final product for my book of taxonomy ended up being quite different than how I had first thought of it, however it was fundamentally the same thing.

My initial proposition was this:

As the process of creating the book developed, I had made some changes with the size of the book. Initially I had proposed the 8.5 x 11 - which is the size of the paper that the original marks were on. This lead to problems with me being stuck to this format - and it made me subject to already set compositions that were not visually appealing. So then I sized it down to 5.25 x 6.25 and selected part of the pages that I thought were interesting.

I then broke up my marks into three sections which were identified denotatively (with the tool that made the marks). then on each page there was a label that pointed out the different connotations that some of the marks made. I made a point of not marking all of the analogue shapes because I wanted the viewer to be able to be more involved in imaging for them selves what some of the marks would be.

Then I made the decision to put a backing on each page to make the whole book more refined. the first paper that I tried did not work because it was too white and had a lot of texture which made it distracting. So then I hand-died more paper and applied that to each page.

The cover I made metal. The same material that is on the back of each page is on the front and back cover. Metal seemed to me to be the easiest material to manipulate. It is also sturdy.





No comments:

Post a Comment