Sunday, February 7, 2010

DESIGN PROCESS - MEGGS


"the design process can be random and intuitive, or highly structured" (meggs) - Meggs mentions that both serendipity and the formal design process are major elements of creating a design. I know that I often rely heavily on the serendipity part, but am sometimes laps when it comes to exploring different methods and ideas of the formal process. I recognize this as a challenge for me when developing my own methodical process.

"All conventions, no matter how sacred, must be questioned..." (meggs) - This is especially important for a designer to keep in mind. A good designer will always keep this in mind.


"new information stimulates new solutions by pulling the designer away from repetitive thought patters". (meggs) - very true, I'd say.

"More and more designs are made with this approach, until what began as a fresh and innovative approach is turned into a cliche by overuse...Reinventing a clich, or looking at it in a fresh and original way can produce orignialy and effective results" (meggs)


From reading this article, I come to realize more and more just how important it is to acquire more knowledge than you think you need, think of more ideas than you think you need, and make more iterations of an idea than you think you need.

The suggestions and process that Meggs mentions here are most helpful. I am familiar with all of his insight and plan to keep it all in mind when developing my own creative process. For me it is a matter of discipline and forcing myself to conform to the rigor of the formal process, and at the same time find a few of my own useful solutions for problem solving.


No comments:

Post a Comment