Monday, April 5, 2010

project 4 process


specifics for this project can be viewed here:
http://www.thenewprogramme.net/coursematerials/i_project4.pdf

I was instructed to find four books having to do with my icon system. I would redesign a book cover four these four books as series. Because my icon system was "On The Alps" I had decided to do four novels from four countries that span across the Alpine region in Central Europe.

In the spirit of my icon system - which manifest themselves with rusticated and organic attributes - I decided to choose an old (20th/19th century), authentic, and famous novel. t After doing much research I had decided that these novels would be directed toward young adults. Each novel would have something to do with the alps.

So i decided on

I promosi sposi (the betrothed) (Italian)
Heidi (swiss)
Das Dopelte Lotchen (the double lottie) (Germany)
Belle et Sebastien (france)


I make a point of doing all of my initial brainstorming with pen and paper:



______
It helped me to brainstorm by finally jumping right in and thinking about how to digitize these things, and what images i would use from the COLLECTION OF IMAGES that I had acquired specifically for this project:







____
Eventually I came up with a way to incorporate my icon, and alpine theme and the characters with a cohesive idea:









I was able to get a lot of insight at critique - and come up with helpful information:





____
In these designs I had established a time (with rusticated look) a place (with inclusion of mountain icon) and characters (with the silhouettes). BUT i need to find one more layer of information that will foreshadow some important event in the story - or somehow speak to the feelings or thoughts that the story itself invokes.

I plan to trace silhouettes from the figures of each image of the cover from each book- its original publication.



No comments:

Post a Comment